Tuesday, June 3, 2014

3 of 20 - When aggression is routine

Frightening Temper "The Loser" has a scary temper. If your boyfriend or girlfriend blows up and does dangerous things, like driving too fast because they're mad, breaking/throwing things, getting into fights, or threatening others - that temper will soon be turned in your direction. In the beginning of the relationship, you will be exposed to "witnessed violence" - fights with others, threats toward others, angry outbursts at others, etc. You will also hear of violence in their life. You will see and witness this temper - throwing things, yelling, cursing, driving fast, hitting the walls, and kicking things. That quickly serves to intimidate you and fear their potential for violence, although "The Loser" quickly assures you that they are angry at others or situations, not at you. At first, you will be assured that they will never direct the hostility and violence at you - but they are clearly letting you know that they have that ability and capability - and that it might come your way. Later, you fear challenging or confronting them - fearing that same temper and violence will be turned in your direction.

Warning Signs you are Dating a Loser by Joe M. Carver PhD.
To see all 20 signs and steps to end the relationship click here

I think this is what I fear the most. This is exactly why I am afraid to say ANYTHING that goes against his ideas, ideology, and even way of acting. I can't say a thing, because what if he does turn his aggression into physical abuse? I mean, even my feelings are "wrong" in his opinion. I should be angry at stuff that I am not, I should be excited about stuff that I am not, I should not like things that I do, etc. etc...

He has never physically hurt me but if you read the 1 of 20 post from yesterday you know that he has been close. When talking about fighting others, he does so with pride. He is proud of being able to tear someone else apart with his bare hands. He is proud of hurting someone so bad that they can't get up, and he is proud for not getting caught doing it. He believes that every man (boy) should know how to fight. That he is not a man if he doesn't fight. Fighting is a sign of being a man... (maybe he was just born in the wrong century).

I must say though, that him getting involved in fights was a long time ago now, years.. but the threat is still there, he kind of make sure he advertise himself as a fighter to scare people off. He always speaks with at least a pinch of aggression and authority, even if he does not mean to. It is like his aggression is a shield to protect him... 

I have witnessed violence being used against others and felt it being used against me by him, it is routine at this point. I am, to be honest with you, afraid of my husbands temper and ultimately him. And I know others are too. It is hard for me to even put into words how much this aspect of who he is is affecting me because it is a daily thing pretty much. I get nervous automatically when he calls. I get nervous when he walks through the front door. I get nervous when we are going to do something together and with other people... Because you never know when he is going to (in my world) freak out again.

There are little things. He can freak out at the people that picks up the garbage if they don't do it on the right day. The person cutting him off in traffic better prepare for a person tailgating him/her for a while with the high beams on while the people sitting in the car with him get's to hear every bad word there is. If the waiter does not bring him his drinks on time your dinner date should just be cancelled because there is no point, he has already lost his temper. He gets angry so easily - even at things that to me are just stuff you should brush off your shoulder and move on. That it is not worth your energy to even acknowledge. It is almost like he is obsessed with it. That being angry is comfortable for him. He knows how to be that person.

Maybe that is why I am so nice to people. There always have to be a Yin to a Yang...

No comments:

Post a Comment